Monday 18 March 2013

Mulberry has become a first time father!

Well today has been a good day!

At last, our first calves by Mulberry have arrived today!  Two lovely Ayrshire heifers, one bull (unfortunately) and a strong black Aberdeen Angus bull from a recently bought in cow.  This we hope will be the busy calving period we've been waiting for since Christmas! 

After an awful weekend of yet more rain and even a covering of snow on Sunday,  have we reached the light at the end of the tunnel?  Things can only get better from now on, surely, Spring is only round the corner and we can get some of these cows out to good grazing as soon as it drys up. 

Our milk yield is only 1000 ltrs a day, the lowest ever on this farm.  With freshly calved cows, milk should go up now and better quality too.

This afternoon, whilst it wasn't raining,  I decided to get aboard Jester and go for a hack down the road. Having a nosey about, see what sheep were out or how the grass was looking on parts of our farm not recently visited!  By the time I got back, (wait for it!) the sun was shining and it was a glorious glimmer of Spring, if only for half an hour.  It did lift my spirits!

I'm now back from the first of seven talks this week.  Unbelievably, I've got three this Thursday.  One at 10.30am at Southwell, another in Nottinghamshire at 1.30pm and another 64 miles into Northamptonshire at 7.30pm.  Looking forward to Friday night as I'm the after dinner speaker for a Gardening Club at Burdells.  I'm taking my Mum too as she's into gardening and has her own garden open during June for NGS.

I wish my camera was working, so I could add a picture of our first baby calves of 2013!  Will try to do better next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment